Flowers in the Cemetery tour 2018
Spital cemetery in 1876 showing the layout of the original garden cemetery. Plot 128 is the New
Ground, first used in 1920, and laid out as a lawn cemetery, without paths and trees, which is the
more efficient use of space. The ground to the south of that is the Roman Catholic Ground. The
section labelled Spital and the adjoining plot 127 (three acres in all, now occupied
by Stanley St, which was part of the land originally purchased) were sold to Hannah Roberts of
Spital Lodge on 25th February 1859 – Original layout of cemetery in 1876
Please download and return to Friends of Spital Cemetery at the address on the form.